Start a Chapter
STEPS TO START A NEW SHH CHAPTER
The Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica is a national organization. Each school has its own local chapter of SHH. These chapters are different than AATSP chapters, which are for teachers. A student is inducted into a local chapter at his or her school.
1. Become a current member of AATSP.
3. Complete a Charter Application.
b. Pay the one-time $35 charter fee. You may pay by credit card or select the "Check/Money Order” option to create an invoice to mail with a check. Please allow 5-10 business days after payment and correct information are received for processing.
4. Create chapter bylaws; determine standards for membership. (See sample)
5. Begin organizing your new members:
a. Allow students to apply for membership or invite students who qualify
b. Select and invite members (collect membership dues)
c. Elect officers
6. Register new members online and submit $5 membership fee per initiate.
SUGGESTIONS FOR SELECTING STUDENTS
1. Eligible students are any high school student who has maintained an honor average in the study of Spanish for a minimum of three semesters and is in the 10th grade or higher. Remember that freshmen cannot be inducted without special permission from the SHH Director.
2. Ask for nominations from other Spanish teachers or have students complete an application process. An application can consist of transcripts, a personal statement, other academic recommendations, and community recommendations.
3. The definition of "honor grade” is left to the discretion of the sponsor but it should be taken into account that the SHH is an honor society for those students of high academic achievement. You can accept as many that meet the minimum requirements as you like, or limit it to a specific number of students. Your bylaws should reflect any decision you make.